Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vanity Thy Name Is Woman..!


                       From the time immemorial, I was carrying a serious question with me. Believe me, it was darn serious as before branching out and vanishing into the state of horrible dreams, it used to abandon me with so many insomniac nights. When I was a kid, I used to ask this question to my mother to confirm if I’m normal or not. But as I grew older, my doubt started converting into the confirmation. A confirmation that changed whole my life, a confirmation that snatched peace of my mind, a confirmation that declared I was not a girl enough. The question that made me restless in all those years was-
                        “Why pink color doesn’t allure me?”
         You see our society is built up of two kinds of creatures- ones who hate pink; that is men and the ones who are afraid to love anything else other than pink; that is women. Just fumble a girl’s wardrobe and you’ll find majority of the stuff announcing the “win-win” state of the pink color. I know women of age-group 3 to 70 years that can vouch for this statement. I used to see at my own wardrobe that got only one pink dress and was full of guys colors like blue, grey and black. And that was the point when plethora of terrible thoughts popped into my head declaring I was not girl enough. People asked me what my favorite color is, and they were generally shocked and worried after listening “Olive Green”. Some of them would probably suggest, “You should do something for this honey!”. Since my childhood my lack of interest in pink and vanity table horrified my mother. She wanted me to turn up into a proper young lady that wasn’t possible unless I liked the pink. But what could I do, pink was never my color, I never played with girls, rather I chose the company of my brothers and I was never bothered about my looks or clothing. All this used to make my mother kind of upset but gradually she accepted it and started living with the fact that she has two sons!
           Sometimes I saw at elderly females who had all the grace of a woman, wearing starched cotton sarees(obviously pink!!), having neatly made plait and putting on exact round shaped sindoor on their forehead. I wondered that even at this age they fancy so much about how they look and they got all the charms towards the life. I started feeling so low considering how less interest I had in these things even at an age of 20 years. And that’s when it striked me that the fear of my mother wasn’t wrong and I was not a proper young lady. Though I didn’t want to grow into a narcissist yet I wanted to feel like a normal girl who cares about how does she look no matter what time of day it is! But one day this all got changed and flying colors including pink(wink..wink) entered into my life.
          It was a busy day and I had to skip my two continuous meals. I was running low with calories and still got a lot of work to finish. I tried to carry on but soon the world started revolving in front of my eyes and I got faint. When I opened my eyes I was surrounded with so many people and my head was resting on my friend’s lap. A little confused and tired, I got up and saw a guy with innocent eyes standing there and watching me worriedly. Forgetting my condition in nanoseconds I enquired my friend in sign language if I looked okay. She smiled and assured me that I looked fine. And instantly it was crystal clear to me that girls always will be the girls, no matter if they like pink or not. “Aah Vanity; thy Name Is woman!!”.            

8 comments:

  1. really gals r always gals...either they love pink or not...at some point they prove their girlish attitude....

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome dear...just luv it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didi this is the statement of a very typical orthodox charming , mature girl.Par aap itni badi kaisa ho gayi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey i dont think so im a mature girl though i agree that im an astute observer...maybe a result of that!!!btw thanks a lot..n love you for all your appreciation :) :)

      Delete
  4. superbly written dear.... n dnt worry dear.. i too m nt fond of pink so much "although i hav lots of pink dresses" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for appreciation..haha.."you should do something for it,honey!" ;) ;)

      Delete